Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hepatitis Awareness Month


May is Hepatitis Awareness Month, and this is the second annual observation of this event. I was thinking about what “Hepatitis Awareness Month” means, and although I am sure the goal is to increase the public’s awareness, it did occur to me that Hepatitis Awareness Month could have other implications.
First, it could mean to make hepatitis more aware. I can see me lecturing my hepatitis C, “Keep your eyes open; watch where you are going. Hey be careful, you are damaging my liver. For goodness sake, use some contraception, you are multiplying too fast”
Second, it could mean that the month is dedicated to hepatitis awareness, but the rest of the year gets a break. “Hey, no need to watch what I eat in June, since hepatitis awareness was so last month.” Not true, of course.
All joking aside, 75% of those who have hepatitis C are completely unaware of the fact that they harbor a harmful, potentially deadly virus. Please help participate in Hepatitis Awareness Month, and make your efforts a yearlong commitment.
For more information, see the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

No comments:

Post a Comment