Saturday, May 11, 2013

Come Alive, You’re in the Hep C Generation


If I were going to imagine a theme song for my blog, I’d rewrite an old Pepsi commercial aired in the 1960’s—Come Alive, You’re in the Pepsi Generation. I would change the words to Come Alive, You’re in the Hep C Generation. This jingle was at its height when many Baby Boomers were first contracting hepatitis C. The commercial targeted young, “hip” consumers, so the irony is not lost on me that I chose this song.
Image courtesy of piyato /FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Something liberating happens to me when I substitute Hep C for Pepsi. Perhaps the light tone of the music offsets the heaviness of this potentially life-threatening disease. Or, it is the notion that we can “come alive” despite living with this virus that now kills more people every year than HIV does. Or is it the sheer irreverence of imaging that Come Alive, You’re in the Hep C Generation could be the battle cry for today’s Baby Boomers…
To watch the original commercial, visit You Tube

No comments:

Post a Comment