Saturday, May 8, 2010

Laughter as an Act of Communion

The average child laughs around 400 times every day. Contrast this with the average adult who laughs approximately 25 times a day. This fact makes me want to either cry, read Dave Barry or watch Carol Burnett reruns.  For me, laughter is the backbone of physical, emotional and spiritual health. Humor is the thread that keeps me from unraveling. I find ways to inject appropriate humor into nearly everything.

I think that humor helps me cope with all of life’s challenges, particularly hepatitis C (HCV). HCV was not a laughing matter when I was first diagnosed, but over time, it has provided some amusing moments. This is particularly true when I am in an HCV group with others who live with this virus. Laughing with others is a communal act. It is like sharing an intimate moment or a fine meal. Laughter lifts the spirits and for a brief time suspends the hard edge of reality. It reminds us that we are all in the same boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment