Saturday, August 14, 2010

Humor

Someone told me that the words humor and healing both come from the same Greek roots. I looked this up and found nothing to support this, as much as I’d like to believe it. Healing is Greek. The word humor means fluid in Latin. In ancient times it was believed that the human contained four substances, called humors. These influence our state our mind, health and personality. The humors were blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile.

Depression and gloominess was from too much black bile, thus the word melancholy (melan means black and chol had to do with bile and the gall bladder). Heck if I had too much black bile I’d be melancholic!

So, when I am being funny, that must mean that I am fluid and balanced. Hope I get there soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment